CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
NEW FORUM

GOT THE MMATORCH APP YET?
iPhone & iPad
Android
Kindle Fire
Windows Phone
MMATORCH IPHONE APP

MMATORCH

All the MMA News • Plus Intelligent, Brilliant, Addictive Points of View!
Independently Covering MMA Since 1993 • No Big Corporate Bosses

UFC
UFC NEWS: Roy Nelson says legal issues with Roy Jones Jr. have been settled
Jan 19, 2011 - 10:13:28 AM
UFC NEWS: Roy Nelson says legal issues with Roy Jones Jr. have been settled
DISCUSS ALL THIS IN OUR NEW MMATORCH FORUM
...OH, ONE MORE THING - PLEASE BOOKMARK US & VISIT DAILY!



By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

NelsonRoy_150_33.jpg
When Roy "Big Country" Nelson joined the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter, he was under contract to Roy Jones Jr's promotion, Square Ring Productions. Nelson had only fought once for the promotion, and had not gotten any other fights from them prior to moving to the UFC, so he felt he was in the clear.

However, that didn't stop Jones and Square Ring Productions from suing Nelson and the UFC in Nevada. And though Nelson competed several times for the UFC while the issue was on-going, the lawsuit was used as the excuse for keeping Nelson out of this month's UFC 125 event when Shane Carwin was pulled from the fight for back surgery.

But now, Nelson says the case is behind him, and he downplayed the UFC's issue with the case to begin with.

"All I can simply say is it has finally been settled, and we'll all just live a happy life because of the legal system in Las Vegas," Nelson said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com.

"There was nothing to worry about; it was like nine months old."

With that out of the way, Nelson turns his attention to a bout with former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir, which will come at UFC 130 in Las Vegas, and he said the lawsuit did let him know one thing for sure: he just wants to fight.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Thankfully for all involved it has been taken care of, and Nelson can concentrate solely on fighting. It was fairly clear the UFC was using this as a scapegoat when taking him off of 125, as they had already targeted him for the event, and he had fought numerous times already while this was already an issue. But, the fact that it's now done and over with means that it's not going to be a distraction for Nelson, not that it necessarily was before, but it completely takes it out of the equation. Now, he's just got a tough fight with Mir to concentrate on, and that will be a very good fight for the Memorial Day weekend card.


DON'T GO YET... WE SUGGEST THESE MMATORCH ARTICLES, TOO!
Michael Bisping takes another shot at Anderson Silva after passing random USADA drug test
B.J. Penn responds to sexual assault allegations, claims extortion from accusers
Kevin Lee vs. Efrain Escudero, Danny Roberts vs. Dominique Steele join UFC 197 card in Las Vegas

comments powered by Disqus
HERE ARE EVEN MORE ARTICLES THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU

SELECT ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
SEARCH MMATORCH BY KEYWORD


MMATORCH CALENDAR OF EVENTS
CLICK HERE FOR LIST OF UPCOMING MMA EVENTS
CLICK TO SEE A UFC VIDEO BELOW

ARTICLES OF INTEREST ELSEWHERE
MMATORCH POLL - VOTE NOW!

Will T.J. Dillashaw and Urijah Faber eventually fight?
 
pollcode.com free polls

Do you think Daniel Cormier will defeat returning Jon Jones to legitimize UFC Light Heavyweight Title reign?
 
pollcode.com free polls

VOTE IN OR SEE RESULTS OF PREVIOUS POLLS

MMATORCH WEEKLY LIVECAST
Listen to the weekly MMATORCH LIVECAST on Blog Talk Radio


MMATORCH STAFF

EDITORS:

Wade Keller, supervising editor
(mmatorch@gmail.com)

Jamie Penick, editor-in-chief
(mmatorcheditor@gmail.com)

STAFF COLUMNISTS:

Shawn Ennis - Jason Amadi
Frank Hyden - Rich Hansen
Chris Park - Matt Pelkey


Interested in joining MMATorch's writing team? Send idea for a theme to your column (for Specialist section) or area of interest (i.e. TV Reporter) along with a sample of writing to mmatorch@gmail.com.

MORE MMA SITES
CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
THE TORCH: #1 IN COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE | © 1999-2013 TDH Communications Inc. • All rights reserved -- PRIVACY POLICY