CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
NEW FORUM

GOT THE MMATORCH APP YET?
iPhone & iPad
Android
Kindle Fire
Windows Phone
MMATORCH IPHONE APP

MMATORCH

All the MMA News • Plus Intelligent, Brilliant, Addictive Points of View!
Independently Covering MMA Since 1993 • No Big Corporate Bosses

UFC
UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem says he'll be back fighting in December
Jun 19, 2012 - 12:15:36 PM
UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem says he'll be back fighting in December
DISCUSS ALL THIS IN OUR NEW MMATORCH FORUM
...OH, ONE MORE THING - PLEASE BOOKMARK US & VISIT DAILY!



By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

OvereemAlistair_180_38.jpg
UFC Heavyweight Alistair Overeem was denied a license for nine months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission earlier this year after a random drug test revealed an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio, indicative of synthetic testosterone use. Overeem would reveal that he received a mixed "cocktail" of drugs from a doctor that he claimed was to treat a lingering injury, and that the mixture contained testosterone.

During a disciplinary hearing with the NSAC, Overeem feigned ignorance as to what was in the drug he was being given, and claimed that he didn't know there was testosterone in the mixture. Ultimately, as he was not licensed by the Commission at the time, he could not be suspended. However, they did deny him a license to fight last month, an expected outcome which led UFC officials to pull him from his fight with Junior dos Santos at UFC 146.

The NSAC opted to retroactively begin his license denial not from the date of application, but from the date of his failed test, and reduced the amount of time he had to wait before he could apply again from one year to nine months. That will take him to December 27, yet Overeem says he's planning on being back by that month.

"I'll be fighting again in December," Overeem wrote in his return to Twitter on Monday. "[And] mark my words, I'll be back to get the belt sooner rather [than] later."

The UFC typically runs a year-end event in Las Vegas, with this year's likely date falling on December 29, making that the only possible date for Overeem to fight in 2012.

Penick's Analysis: He won't be fighting in December, just to be clear. He can't even apply for a license until two days before that event, and because he's been denied a license for this testosterone issue, he's likely going to have to appear once again before the commission before they sign off on a license. It's the process Josh Barnett was supposed to go through with the California State Athletic Commission after testing positive in 2009 for steroids, but he failed to appear or have adequate representation at several hearings to appeal or apply for a new license. For Overeem, it probably won't be difficult to get a license approved the way the NSAC handled his last appearance, but it will take more than two days, and the UFC won't book him on that card when he can't apply for a license in advance.

[Alistair Overeem art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]


DON'T GO YET... WE SUGGEST THESE MMATORCH ARTICLES, TOO!
Michael Bisping takes another shot at Anderson Silva after passing random USADA drug test
B.J. Penn responds to sexual assault allegations, claims extortion from accusers
Kevin Lee vs. Efrain Escudero, Danny Roberts vs. Dominique Steele join UFC 197 card in Las Vegas

comments powered by Disqus
HERE ARE EVEN MORE ARTICLES THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU

SELECT ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
SEARCH MMATORCH BY KEYWORD


MMATORCH CALENDAR OF EVENTS
CLICK HERE FOR LIST OF UPCOMING MMA EVENTS
CLICK TO SEE A UFC VIDEO BELOW

ARTICLES OF INTEREST ELSEWHERE
MMATORCH POLL - VOTE NOW!

Will T.J. Dillashaw and Urijah Faber eventually fight?
 
pollcode.com free polls

Do you think Daniel Cormier will defeat returning Jon Jones to legitimize UFC Light Heavyweight Title reign?
 
pollcode.com free polls

VOTE IN OR SEE RESULTS OF PREVIOUS POLLS

MMATORCH WEEKLY LIVECAST
Listen to the weekly MMATORCH LIVECAST on Blog Talk Radio


MMATORCH STAFF

EDITORS:

Wade Keller, supervising editor
(mmatorch@gmail.com)

Jamie Penick, editor-in-chief
(mmatorcheditor@gmail.com)

STAFF COLUMNISTS:

Shawn Ennis - Jason Amadi
Frank Hyden - Rich Hansen
Chris Park - Matt Pelkey


Interested in joining MMATorch's writing team? Send idea for a theme to your column (for Specialist section) or area of interest (i.e. TV Reporter) along with a sample of writing to mmatorch@gmail.com.

MORE MMA SITES
CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
THE TORCH: #1 IN COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE | © 1999-2013 TDH Communications Inc. • All rights reserved -- PRIVACY POLICY