CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
NEW FORUM

GOT THE MMATORCH APP YET?
iPhone & iPad
Android
Kindle Fire
Windows Phone
MMATORCH IPHONE APP

MMATORCH

All the MMA News • Plus Intelligent, Brilliant, Addictive Points of View!
Independently Covering MMA Since 1993 • No Big Corporate Bosses

UFC
Frank Mir wants Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 if Alistair Overeem is out [UPDATE]
Apr 4, 2012 - 8:30:21 PM
Frank Mir wants Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 if Alistair Overeem is out [UPDATE]
DISCUSS ALL THIS IN OUR NEW MMATORCH FORUM
...OH, ONE MORE THING - PLEASE BOOKMARK US & VISIT DAILY!



By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

MirFrank_180_7.jpg
It's only been a short time since news of Alistair Overeem's failed steroid test for UFC 146 came out, and already one fighter has officially thrown his name in the mix to take his spot for the UFC Heavyweight Championship.

Former Champion Frank Mir, who is set to take on Cain Velasquez on the UFC 146 card, says he's ready to go against Junior dos Santos is Overeem is out of that fight.

"I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his 'A' sample drug test are true," Mir said in a statement released by his management group.

"I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream."

Penick's Analysis: Mir is the opponent that makes the most sense right now. He's won four of his last five, and seven of his last nine fight. He's riding a three fight winning streak, and he just broke Antonio Minotauro Nogueira's arm in his last fight. Had Overeem not beaten Brock Lesnar in December, Mir would have likely gotten this fight anyway. If Overeem is out, Mir's the guy to give it to.

UPDATE: If Alistair Overeem is taking out of his title fight with dos Santos, UFC President Dana White is on board with Mir taking his spot. Responding to a fan on Twitter who said Mir should get the shot, White stated "I do not disagree with you."

[Frank Mir art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]


DON'T GO YET... WE SUGGEST THESE MMATORCH ARTICLES, TOO!
Nick Diaz explains why he won't be targeting Anderson Silva's previously broken leg at UFC 183
Ronda Rousey on mention in new Eminem track: "I feel like getting rapped about by Eminem is like getting armbarred by me"
Former WWE star CM Punk says Vince McMahon nixed him walking Chael Sonnen to the cage at UFC on Fox 2

comments powered by Disqus
HERE ARE EVEN MORE ARTICLES THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU

SELECT ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
SEARCH MMATORCH BY KEYWORD


MMATORCH CALENDAR OF EVENTS
CLICK HERE FOR LIST OF UPCOMING MMA EVENTS
CLICK TO SEE A UFC VIDEO BELOW

ARTICLES OF INTEREST ELSEWHERE
MMATORCH POLL - VOTE NOW!

Should Joseph Benavidez get another shot at Demetrious Johnson yet?
 
pollcode.com free polls

Has Frankie Edgar done enough to earn another Title fight with Jose Aldo?
 
pollcode.com free polls

What surprised you most on the UFC Fight Night 57 main card on Saturday night?
 
pollcode.com free polls

VOTE IN OR SEE RESULTS OF PREVIOUS POLLS

MMATORCH WEEKLY LIVECAST
Listen to the weekly MMATORCH LIVECAST on Blog Talk Radio


MMATORCH STAFF

EDITORS:

Wade Keller, supervising editor
(mmatorch@gmail.com)

Jamie Penick, editor-in-chief
(mmatorcheditor@gmail.com)

STAFF COLUMNISTS:

Shawn Ennis - Jason Amadi
Frank Hyden - Rich Hansen
Chris Park - Matt Pelkey


Interested in joining MMATorch's writing team? Send idea for a theme to your column (for Specialist section) or area of interest (i.e. TV Reporter) along with a sample of writing to mmatorch@gmail.com.

MORE MMA SITES
CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
THE TORCH: #1 IN COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE | © 1999-2013 TDH Communications Inc. • All rights reserved -- PRIVACY POLICY