CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
NEW FORUM

GOT THE MMATORCH APP YET?
iPhone & iPad
Android
Kindle Fire
Windows Phone
MMATORCH IPHONE APP

MMATORCH

All the MMA News • Plus Intelligent, Brilliant, Addictive Points of View!
Independently Covering MMA Since 1993 • No Big Corporate Bosses

UFC
Georges St-Pierre caught off guard by Nick Diaz's no shows, change in opponent for UFC 137
Sep 7, 2011 - 6:30:54 PM
DISCUSS ALL THIS IN OUR NEW MMATORCH FORUM
...OH, ONE MORE THING - PLEASE BOOKMARK US & VISIT DAILY!



By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

GSP_TB150_22.jpg
When UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre woke up on Wednesday morning, he was prepared to meet up with his UFC 137 opponent Nick Diaz at a press conference in Las Vegas this afternoon. But for the second straight press conference promoting their fight this week, Diaz was nowhere to be found, and St-Pierre was left to handle media duties on his own.

However, something would be done about that this time around, as St-Pierre found out he had another opponent for the October 29 event in Carlos Condit.

St-Pierre was in disbelief throughout this afternoon's press conference, struggling to comprehend how Diaz could allow this to happen and allow himself to lose his biggest fight ever.

"There are three partners to promote the fight. There's the UFC, [but] they need me and they need Nick Diaz," St-Pierre said of their duties in hyping a fight. "I showed up to do my job, and Nick Diaz didn't, and there are consequences. I just learned the news a few minutes ago… I don't have the words, I'm caught off guard completely. I would never have done something like that. I don't understand how someone doesn't show up for an opportunity like this, I just can't believe it, it's crazy."

A clearly disappointed Dana White wasn't entirely surprised in the situation, and admitted that he knew what he got himself into when he signed Diaz earlier this year. Nick Diaz skipping out on media duties was commonplace throughout his time in Strikeforce, but White said Diaz was adamant that he was going to do what the UFC needed him to do in order to promote the event when he signed.

"I'd be a liar if I was standing up here telling you I didn't know what I was getting into when I made this fight," White admitted. "I expected some problems and some headaches, but I didn't expect this."

"Nick Diaz can't handle the pressure of a main event of this magnitude, that's what I think. It's absolutely insane. The kid flew out, sat in my office and signed a contract and said to my face he was going to do everything we needed him to do. And we're not asking him to do anything we're not asking GSP to do, either."

While he was frustrated himself, St-Pierre cracked a few jokes about the situation, wondering whether or not Diaz would pop out from behind a curtain at some point during the proceedings.

"Maybe he's been taken away by aliens," St-Pierre said, laughing. "Maybe he's going to show up, walk in, and call me names. To me it doesn't make sense. I worked all my life for these opportunities. I just don't understand [why this would happen]. His life would have changed completely."

Penick's Analysis: No one expected Diaz to be a model employee, but there is a certain level of professionalism that the UFC expects and that Diaz was expected to adhere to. Saying you'll show up only to flake out on three flights, and failing to show up for the second press conference after your manager assures that you'll be there is just unacceptable. There's no other way around that, it's unacceptable, and when his manager can't find him and he's not responding to phone calls, the UFC making this move isn't at all a surprise. Like White said, it makes more sense to scrap that fight now than have Diaz not show up for the event on October 29. This is a crappy situation, and the fans are suffering as a result, but the door has now been opened for Carlos Condit to get his first title fight in the UFC. He may even be a more dangerous opponent for St-Pierre, and while I'm disappointed in the loss of this fight, I'm excited for the prospects of the new main event.

[Georges St-Pierre art by Travis Beaven (c) MMATorch.com]


DON'T GO YET... WE SUGGEST THESE MMATORCH ARTICLES, TOO!
UFC featherweight and former WEC Champ Mike Brown: "I don't think I'll fight again"
Video - Find out what Michael Bisping and Tim Kennedy had to say at "The Ultimate Fighter: Nations" Finale weigh-in
Alexander Gustafsson says UFC Champ Jon Jones "trying to avoid" a rematch "as long as possible"

comments powered by Disqus
HERE ARE EVEN MORE ARTICLES THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU

SELECT ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
SEARCH MMATORCH BY KEYWORD


MMATORCH CALENDAR OF EVENTS
CLICK HERE FOR LIST OF UPCOMING MMA EVENTS
CLICK TO SEE A UFC VIDEO BELOW

ARTICLES OF INTEREST ELSEWHERE
MMATORCH POLL - VOTE NOW!

Who wins the Patrick Cote vs. Kyle Noke coaches bout at the "TUF: Nations" Finale?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

Has the lengthy, delayed build to Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva hurt your interest?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

Which of the UFC's offerings on television this week will you be watching?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
pollcode.com free polls 

VOTE IN OR SEE RESULTS OF PREVIOUS POLLS

MMATORCH WEEKLY LIVECAST
Listen to the weekly MMATORCH LIVECAST on Blog Talk Radio


MMATORCH STAFF

EDITORS:

Wade Keller, supervising editor
(mmatorch@gmail.com)

Jamie Penick, editor-in-chief
(mmatorcheditor@gmail.com)

STAFF COLUMNISTS:

Shawn Ennis - Jason Amadi
Frank Hyden - Rich Hansen
Chris Park - Matt Pelkey


Interested in joining MMATorch's writing team? Send idea for a theme to your column (for Specialist section) or area of interest (i.e. TV Reporter) along with a sample of writing to mmatorch@gmail.com.

MORE MMA SITES
CONTACTABOUTFACEBOOKTWITTERPODCAST IPHONE APPANDROID APPAMAZON APPWINDOWS APPRSS
THE TORCH: #1 IN COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE | © 1999-2013 TDH Communications Inc. • All rights reserved -- PRIVACY POLICY