FRIDAY NEWS DIGEST 9/16: Sonnen signs with Bellator, JDS talks Miocic, Aldo campaigns for Pettis Fight, more (w/Cervantes Analysis)

By Jonathan Cervantes, MMATorch contributor

Chael Sonnen (photo credit Winslow Townson © USA Today Sports)


Chael Sonnen (29-14-1) has signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA. The promotion announced the signing on Thursday and said that the two parties had been in talks for some time. Sonnen praised Bellator for its development over the years and lauded its popularity with MMA spectators. “I’m consistently blown away by the product and presentation that Bellator is bringing to the fans,” he said.

Bellator CEO Scott Coker also praised the signing and noted his enthusiasm. “Chael is an incredible athlete who has competed at the very highest levels of the sport,” Coker said. “I know that he is going to continue to do just that here at Bellator.”

Sonnen hasn’t fought in nearly three years, a loss at UFC 167 against Rashad Evans via TKO in the first round. He failed multiple drug tests thereafter which led to his release from the UFC. He is 3-3 in his last six fights, with signature wins against current Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping, current UFC commentator Brian Stann, and most recently against Mauricio Rua via guillotine choke in the first round in the main event on Aug. 17, 2013.

Cervantes Analysis: At 39 years old, Sonnen will be one of the oldest fighters on the Bellator roster. With that being said, he brings an elite wrestling game with him that may rival the best that Bellator has to offer. He will also join the list of high profile fighters who have recently defected from the UFC and have found new life. There are definitely some interesting fights for him in Bellator and, even at this late stage in his career, he could find great success with his skill set.


-Junior Dos Santos said he would defeat Stipe Miocic if the two met for a rematch.

-Jose Aldo expressed interest in fighting Anthony Pettis if Aldo does not get the next shot at Conor Mcgregor.

-Cody Garbrandt says: “I truly believe I’m next in line for the title shot” against Dominick Cruz.

-Dustin Poirier says: “I’m going to break Michael Johnson’s Will” ahead of Saturday night.

-UFC analyst Kenny Florian confirmed the rumors regarding his brothers passing earlier this week.

CATCH UP ON YESTERDAY’S NEWS: THURSDAY NEWS DIGEST 9/15: Heavyweight Division heats up with Jones and Cain in news, Sonnen joins Bellator, Cerrone opponent, much more

(Jonathan Cervantes has been an avid fan of MMA since 2009 when he saw GSP vs. B.J. Penn 2. He has practiced tae kwon do, jiu-jitsu, and wrestling in the past and is currently a student majoring in entrepreneurship at the University of San Francisco.)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.